The ALA Primer: A Guide for New Readers

Discussion in 'Useful Resources' started by Impel GD, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Impel GD Graphic and Web Design

The ALA Primer: A Guide for New Readers

"If you’re going to build a house—or a website—you need the right tools. A List Apart offers hundreds of articles on design, markup, style, accessibility, usability, and more. We’ve selected a few that you might want to start with. (Think of this guide as one of those reassuring brochures from Lowe’s or Home Depot, but about websites instead of ceramic tile.)"

A lot of good stuff there.
  2. JohnC < ? />

Wow- great list of articles there.
    I've dipped into ALA before now and then, from links or searches, and found some good resources. They've got a huge collection of articles, some of which I'll have to read a bit further down the road...:eek:
  3. Impel GD Graphic and Web Design

4. JohnC < ? />

On the topic of webdesign resource mines, here's another one: Community MX.
    Actually subscription based, but there's a heap of free articles and tutorials here:
    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
    some of which I've already found very useful in a practical way.

(There's a lot of stuff related to Dreamweaver/Fireworks/whatever but persevere and you'll find some good css things.)
  5. Impel GD Graphic and Web Design

6. JohnC < ? />

A little bedtime reading for the next 10yrs or so... :rolleyes:
    Seriously, another knockout collection of articles.
  7. Impel GD Graphic and Web Design

Hehe, yeah... I almost feel bad about posting it here as it gives the impression I've read it. I'm just too busy at the moment!
  8. webby Debs

Wow David thanks for those. :) I have bookmarked them this time as I remember you gave me some for CSS a while back but I don't know where they were posted on the forum.

John, I'm afraid yours made go goggle-eyed so I had to put my hat back on :dunce:
  9. JohnC < ? />

You mean the Community MX stuff?
    I had to spend some time picking through that stuff, but found some really useful guides to things like 2-box css layouts, pure css pop-ups... clearly explained with pictures, even. :)
  10. webby Debs

wow pictures eh? That's about my level of understanding for just about anything. So I reckon I should be alright with that :)
  11. JohnC < ? />

Of course you know I wasn't implying that... ;)
    (Still remember your fix for that redirect problem.)
  12. webby Debs

I know you weren't John :)

ah that fix....well I only knew how to do it because I had previously done it myself. Twas in the days when I was in love....with my htaccess file! :D