Firefox Extension: HTML Validator

Discussion in 'Useful Resources' started by Impel GD, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Impel GD Graphic and Web Design

HTML Validator

A brilliant little extension which instantly validates pages as you browse them. If the markup validates it shows a little green tick; if not, a yellow warning or red error.

Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

(When I installed it Firefox originally reported it wasn't a valid package, but a restart later it works fine.)
  2. BurningSnowman Moderator

Haha, well I was bound to like this one. :)

Nice find, thanks for the link. I'm particularly entertained that more than one W3C page has questionable markup that Tidy catches, even though their own validator misses it. I think the things it caught were dodgy unescaped characters and repeated id attributes. Fun!
  3. JohnC < ? />

Another nice one David, thanks. :)
    I'l try it out later as I'm on k-meleon right now.
    So many neat Fx extensions among the dross- check out "inline definitions" for example...
  4. apacheman Registered Insane

5. BurningSnowman Moderator

I've had that for a while (very nice extension), but having looked at the description for this one I decided I was quite happy with both. The web dev. toolbar provides handy access to normal W3C validation, but this inline one can run continuously (when enabled) and is based on parsing by TIDY. Great for idle curiosity, efficient for catching the odd mistake during page development, and it'll even pick up slightly different errors sometimes.
  6. apacheman Registered Insane

Thanks for the precis BS, I'll load it. Could be useful with the current project.

Boy are these browsers a pain between types and platforms!!
  7. Carl Agent impossible

This Tidy one seems to be able to clean up code aswell? Not quite sure how it works... its amazing how many sites have warnings...
  8. BurningSnowman Moderator

Yes. Tidy itself isn't new.

It can identify specific problems and fix them with warnings but not with errors, apparently. In fact, that's how it defines the two.