Community website.

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Unregistered, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Unregistered Guest

Hello,

Following a number of problems with our current host, we are looking to relocate our local community website. This is ran on a not-for-profit basis, but we do charge for advertising on the site (which includes banners and mini-sites) to cover our own costs. Would charging for space in this instance be considered a breach of your terms and conditions?

Kind regards,
    Cyrill666
    :D
  2. Barry Moderator

Hi Cyrill :)

Charging for advertising is fine with us :)

Charging people for webspace is considered a breach of our terms and conditions unless you have a reseller account
  3. Adam Administrator

That's right Cyrill666,

Charge as much as you like for advertising :)

Kevin
  4. Andy666 New Member

In essence what we do is charge for web design and offer our customers one of two things:

- A domain registering and hosting service
    - Placement of their site on our subdomain

In the case of the 1st option we obviously find a suitable host for them and charge them annually, if H-U were used this would obviously be via a reseller agreement.

The second option is taken up by very small local business trying to keep costs down. Since we incur no charges by using a subdomain (at our present host) we do not pass this cost on in terms of an annual hosting fee. This user would have no access to their domain other than through us and we may or may not levy a charge against page changes (depends on complexity).

Is there anything in this scenario that may breach your T's & C's?
  5. Adam Administrator

Hi Andy,

That scenario would not breach our Terms of Service. So long as you do not make profit from offering subdomains to your clients there really isn't a problem.

If you wished to resell any of your web space or anything else that is included with one of our packages then you would need to have a reseller account.

Hope this clarifies things.

Kevin
  6. Andy666 New Member

That's fantastic, watch out here we come.....

Actually before I get carried away, we'd need to check that everything we have running would cross over OK.

So far as I can see it'd be OK, we run
    - phpBB 2.0.6 - for our forums
    - A CGI based chat facility
    - php & MySQL for a custom developed content management program
    - php & MYSQL based eStore, ******* room and classifieds
    - cron to prod the ******* room occasionally
    - .htaccess to secure a few of our directories
    - SSI via .shtml dynamic includes for our layout

I think that's the lot. Is there anything there that would/could cause a problem?

Our current host is web-mania, they have been up and down like a yo-yo for the past few weeks with terrible support and no real explaination as to why!

Love the fact that you have this forum and answers get posted so quickly!
  7. Andy666 New Member

p.s. the site is inglebybarwick.com

In case you fancy taking a peek!

Edit (manian): Fixed the link for ya ;)
  8. Andy666 New Member

why did the word that spelt wrongly would look like "auktion" get censored?
  9. Miguel New Member

I'd like to know that as well ANdy666. :)
  10. Adam Administrator

I could tell you...

...but then I'd have to kill you :)

Kevin

(Dunno why, it's removed now:))